CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Friday, February 06, 2009

Of Loving the Transitory

Obstinate are the trammels, but my heart aches when I try to break
them. Freedom is all I want, but to hope for it I feel ashamed.

I am certain that the priceless wealth is within thee, and that thou
art my best friend, but I have not the heart to sweep away the tinsel
that fills my room.

The shroud that covers me is a shroud of dust as death; I hate it, yet
hug it in love.

My debts are large, my failures great, my shame secret and heavy; yet
when I come to ask for my good, I quake in fear lest my prayer be
granted.

-gitanjali by rabindranath Tagore


Sent from my iPhone

3 of them wept:

neeli said...

tram·mel

-noun
1. Usually, trammels. a hindrance or impediment to free action; restraint: the trammels of custom.
2. an instrument for drawing ellipses.
3. Also called tram. a device used to align or adjust parts of a machine.
4. trammel net.
5. a fowling net.
6. a contrivance hung in a fireplace to support pots or kettles over the fire.
7. a fetter or shackle, esp. one used in training a horse to amble.

–verb (used with object)
8. to involve or hold in trammels; restrain.
9. to catch or entangle in or as in a net.

[What? Just doing a favor to mankind. er. Womankind. Stalkerkind?]

Anonymous said...

Tagore was a genius. I love his work. Esp I seem to have loved you in numberless forms and more...

Neeli: lol. Thank you

Anonymous said...

The last line is what really hit home. Nice excerpt.