Ok- kill me, but I actually really liked the speed racer movie. Its all... Heartwarming. Yay. Ooh, and the Japanese guys sister is HOT.
So, I managed to soldier through by writers block and write something mediocre- which I subsequently sent to my journalist friend in amreeka (who incidentally is an alumnus of ColumbiaU, xeb) for feedback. I ended up writing something like 500 words although the people at huffington post only asked for 150- but that should be OK because they don't seem to be too strict on word limits. Although I do think the article itself needs to be 'filled in' and given more argumentative structure at this stage, I like the conclusion that I've come to- that the Taliban are as much a symptom as a disease, and that inherent hatred of the US and all things related is a major factor for this extremist movement gaining as much momentum as it has- but issues like illiteracy and poverty are at least equally to blame. At the end (borrowing the words of the said journalist friend), I've said that the Taliban have become a sort of counterweight for the US in the eyes of some. A new, fresh approach- one that genuinely tries to benefit the people of this nation- is required to remove this stigma of the US being a malicious anti-Pakistan, anti-Islam force (Although we can't completely ignore some actions in the past that have made such opinions rational). In essence, the Taliban do need to be defeated, but in order to defeat them, they must be made redundant.
Scattered
5 months ago

3 of them wept:
Not a bad argument. Essentially we need to think of ideological warfare, not physical dishoom-dishoom-ing heroics. In the nuclear age the latter will probably be disastrous anyway.
Incidentally I don't know what I'm doing up writing emotional posts when I should be sleeping or working. *sigh*
You write for the Huffington Post? I AM truly impressed.
*claps*
When you get all intellectual, I get scared.
*runs away*
Post a Comment